Simon McVittie schrieb:
On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 at 18:35:23 +0200, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
So this patch makes polkit call into gettext with the domain
'polkit-action-distro-translations' if an xml doesn't contain
translations for the requested language.

Would it perhaps be better to have the XML specify a gettext domain,
perhaps with some default? That's what GLib's GSettings does: you
write something like <schemalist gettext-domain="gnome-terminal">
to look for translations in gnome-terminal.mo (which is a real example
if you want to see it in action).

That would be useful to avoid having to generate translations into the
xml files. Since most programs probably use gettext already and have
those translations in their po resp installed mo files anyways it would
avoid duplication. Having the gettext domain there doesn't help for the
use case I'm trying to solve though. Unless the xml allows for several
domains and we always patch in an additional one as fallback...

(I assume you already have some way to ship updated versions of
arbitrary .mo files so that you can localize messages, etc.)

We're not taking it that far yet. This is mostly about very user
visible things like authentication for shutdown etc. where it
doesn't really matter whether the application or service behind the
message is actually fully translated.

cu
Ludwig

--