As per, for example,

  https://travis-ci.org/HOL-Theorem-Prover/HOL/jobs/118129741

we are seeing "Out of store" aborts with builds that work fine under 5.5.2.
The example above is on a Linux virtual machine.  We've also seen them on real
(i.e., not virtualised) OSX machines.

Is there something obvious we might be doing that could be causing this?

We're running all our sessions with --gcthreads=1 as per discussion in

 http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.ml.polyml.general/976

Michael