David,

I think I would expect `pkg-config --libs polyml` to provide the linker flags required to create an executable, i.e. I wouldn't expect to have to specify -lpolymain additionally. I can't think of any other use cases of pkg-config because Poly/ML can't be used to produce a library. Even if it could, I don't believe adding -lpolymain would cause overlinking because only an archive version of libpolymain is available (and should always be available) and this shouldn't be included by the linker if there is no reference to the symbol "main".

For Poly/ML built with --disable-shared, Libs still has all the linker flags, as I would expect, except for -lpolymain. If -lpolymain is added, it appears that it would need to be added _before_ -lpolyml (where it used to be), at least for my Linux distribution.

On a separate note, for Poly/ML built with --enable-shared, I believe that the flags recently removed to avoid overlinking should still be produced if `pkg-config --static ...` is used, so should appear in Libs.private. However, it looks like this is only useful in the unusual case where all dependencies are to be statically linked. Most distributions don't supply archives for all libraries so that isn't usually possible. For Poly/ML built with --enable-shared, static linking of the Poly/ML library but not its dependencies is possible, e.g.

  gcc file.o \
    -Wl,-Bstatic \
    -L/tmp/polyml/lib -lpolymain -lpolyml \
    -Wl,-Bdynamic \
    -lpthread -lffi -lgmp -lm -ldl -lstdc++ -lgcc_s -lgcc

but `pkg-config --static ...` can't produce such commands. Such a command could be produced with some shell trickery to get static-only dependencies, so perhaps it is worth supporting --static.

Finally, I note that libffi has its own PC file, so when Poly/ML is built with --with-system-libffi, instead of adding -lffi to Libs/Libs.private, libffi could be added to Requires/Requires.private, respectively.

Phil