On 10/02/18 21:16, Matthew Fernandez wrote:

> If I understand your aim correctly, you are trying to alter the path the
> runtime linker will use to find libpolyml.so. Is it not simpler to statically
> link to libpolyml instead? There’s probably a more elegant way to achieve
> this, but a blunt approach is:
>
>     ./configure --disable-shared --prefix=/tmp/foo
>     make
>     make install
>     ldd /tmp/foo/bin/poly | grep libpolyml # shows nothing

OK, this appears to work, although I am unsure about the defaults: in
some of my build environments I get the effect of --disable-shared
without naming that option, but there is also --enable-shared to be
explicit about it.

What I did not explain in this mail thread: there are two main library
dependencies -- libpolyml and libgmp. The latter is often available on
Linux, but there is no guarantee -- it needs to be bundled with Poly/ML.

The starting point for the current reorganization was actually a
conflict of the bundled libgmp vs. the system-installed libgmp, see
https://mailmanbroy.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/pipermail/isabelle-dev/2018-February/007773.html

        Makarius