Dear Windows experts,

the task is to build the Poly/ML such that:

  * the build works on the command-line / in batch mode

  * the resulting poly.exe is a command-line tool, not a Windows desktop
application.

Based on recommendations by David Matthews from some years ago, I have
done that so far with MinGW -- using a rather old version of gcc. See also:

http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle/file/839de121665c/Admin/polyml/INSTALL-MinGW

http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle/file/839de121665c/Admin/polyml/README

http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle/file/839de121665c/src/Pure/Admin/build_polyml.scala
(with specific options for x86-windows and x86_64-windows)

I wonder if it would be better to use the free community version of
Visual Studio instead: https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads

Has anybody tried this and can report some experience with it?

        Makarius