On 23/01/2019 08:42, Chun Tian (binghe) wrote:

> P. S. I think PolyML is already fast enough for HOL4, especially when you see
> how slow the Moscow ML builds are:)  In Isabelle, every time when the user
> click inside the JEdit editor, it may trigger some computation at the PolyML
> side, I guess the performance issue is more urgent there.

BTW: jEdit is just a plain text editor from http://www.jedit.org -- what
you mean is generally called Prover IDE or PIDE, the specific product
"Isabelle/jEdit", you also call it just "Isabelle" according to the
application title.

The most dire need for Poly/ML performance is actually in batch builds,
e.g. when maintaining the ever growing Archive of Formal Proofs (lets
say after changing some notation or theorem names).

The Prover IDE seemingly wastes a lot of resources, but these are turned
into direct prover interaction for the benefit of the user: it helps to
do proofs efficiently. This interaction model has also motivated users
to trim down slow proofs to what is really required: in recent years it
had a beneficial impact on batch builds as well.

        Makarius