> How can I make polyml to use "ar cr" instead of "ar cru"?

The problem was only in the libffi directory. I edited the files with
AR_FLAGS setting there, I guess the configure is the source of the others
and then make in this directory worked, and then make in the main polyml
directory went through.

ar manual writes

       u   Normally, ar r... inserts all files listed into the archive.  If
you would like to insert only
           those of the files you list that are newer than existing members
of the same names, use this
           modifier.  The u modifier is allowed only for the operation r
(replace).  In particular, the
           combination qu is not allowed, since checking the timestamps
would lose any speed advantage
           from the operation q.

So omitting the u has no real effect other than compile time.

The learning is that in MobaXterm, probably due to Busybox using a limited
version of ar, option u is not understood. Fixing libffi/configure to have
option cr instead of cru for AR_FLAGS makes the compilation possible.

Would it be possible to test with autoconf whether a system understands the
u option of ar and use cr then?

- Gergely