On 08/12/2021 07:04, zacque wrote:
I find the Basis Library to be inadequate for many of my use
cases. E.g. I'm used to having built-in Set and Map/Dict abstract
datatypes (ADTs); and built-in sort function for all the common ADTs.
Then, I realise I can start poly by loading all the code with "--use
FILE" from command line.

So, my question is how to suppress "poly --use ROOT.sml" loaded
definition message to STDOUT? E.g.

     $ poly --use ROOT.sml
     Poly/ML 5.8.2 Release
     val testme = "Test me!": string    <---- suppress this line
     val it = (): unit                  <---- and this line
     > 1;
     val it = 1: int                    <---- while keep printing of results

I have tried "poly --use 'FILE' -q" with the "-q" option. But it
turns off printing of results as well (which is undesired). I hope
there is an easy way (probably a switch/flag?) to achieve what I
want, and avoid writing another REPL.

Hi zacque,

The -q option turns printing off by setting PolyML.print_depth to zero. You can always turn printing on at any point by calling PolyML.print_depth with a non-zero value.

By the way, have a look at the Poly/ML software directory at https://www.polyml.org/software/index.php . You might find some of these library extensions there and if not and you're happy to make your extensions available please consider adding an entry to the directory.

David