http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/news/4230979/detail.html

Pope's Health Leaves Sainthood In Question For Cope, Damien

POSTED: 3:52 pm HST February 24, 2005
HONOLULU -- Pope John Paul II's illness has cast a shadow on the sanctification
of two missionaries to Molokai.

Those behind the beatification of Mother Marianne Cope of Molokai are not sure
how the Pope's relapse might affect the beatification ceremonies scheduled for
later this spring

Communities in Hawaii and in Syracuse, New York are planning for a May 18
beatification ceremony in Rome.

Cope was the first U.S. missionary to work with Hansen's disease patients in
Hawaii.

Organizers of the event say they may be forced to work in contingencies since
large groups are planning to make the trip to the Vatican for the event.

Father Damien's sainthood is also in jeopardy. The pope presided at Damien's
beatification in Belgium nine years ago.

A Vatican representative is in Honolulu now investigating a miracle that
should, if verified, be enough to grant Damien sainthood.

However, Belgian archivist Hilde Eynikel said the process could be stalled if
John Paul fails to recover and his replacement is conservative.

"It's sometimes a matter of politics. At this moment, the dossier of Damien is
frozen," Eynikel said.

In his papal tenure, John Paul II has declared more sanctifications than any
previous pope. It's feared, without his support, the commission will table
Damien's sainthood indefinitely.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/WwRTUD/SOnJAA/i1hLAA/wpWolB/TM

"[M]y ministry is that of servus servorum Dei."
--Pope John Paul II (Ut Unum Sint, no. 88)

"And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock
I will build my church, and the powers of death
shall not prevail against it."
--Matthew 16:18
Yahoo! Groups Links