Albert Astals Cid <aa...@kde.org> writes:

> El diumenge, 24 de setembre de 2017, a les 9:58:35 CEST, Carlos Garcia Campos
> va escriure:
>> Albert Astals Cid <aa...@kde.org> writes:
>> > El dilluns, 11 de setembre de 2017, a les 20:52:31 CEST, Adrian Johnson va
>> >
>> > escriure:
>> >
>> > va escriure:

>> > This may be a silly question, but why do you need to install multiple
>> > versions, just have different build dirs?
>> >
>> > rpath is evil since AFAIR it wins against LD_LIBRARY_PATH, *I* want to
>> > have
>> > the last word.
>>
>> This has broken my workflow, though. I was going crazy finding a
>> regression, because I was getting always the same results for every
>> revision I tried, until I figured out it was because the poppler glib
>> demo in build dir was always using the installed poppler. I have poppler
>> and many other things installed with jhbuild in a different prefix in my
>> home. jhbuild uses LD_LIBRARY_PATH, so since it wins, when I try to run
>> From build dir with jhbuild run glib/demo/poppler-glib-demo it always
>> uses the installed libraries. This is the way I work in all other
>> projects. If I run the demo without jhbuld run, then it correctly links
>> to the libs in the buildir, but then it doesn't use my other libraries
>> installed by jhbuild (cairo, pixman, etc.), so that's not a solution for
>> me. I can't set LD_LIBRARY_PATH either, because jhbuild prepends its
>> paths, and it would be quite inconvenient. In other projects I work, that
>> use cmake, RPATH is set to the build directory, and removed by make
>> install. When running from the build dir, 99% of the times you really
>> want to use the built libraries from the build dir not the installed ones,
>> so RPATH does the right thing. What I usually do the other 1% of the
>> times I don't want this, is using LD_PRELOAD.
>
> I sincerely find this is more a limitation fo your tools than of our build
> system, why is jhbuild adding the poppler LD_LIBRARY_PATH when running in
> poppler? it seems to me if you're running a poppler too it should only add
> the
> dependencies of the libraries it needs, not of itself too.

jhbuild is adding its own prefix to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, in my case
/home/carlos/gnome, where all my other modules are installed (including
cairo and pixman). So, if I have previously installed poppler, when running
poppler utils from build dir inside the jhbuild environment, the
installed libraries are used, because LD_LIBRARY_PATH has precedence
over RUNPATH. That's not the case of RPATH, I can run the poppler utils
From build dir inside the jhbuild and the libs in the build dir will be
used, while still using all my other libs from jhbuild. I think this is
a common case, I bet I'm not the only one affected by this, just the one
who noticed it (and noticed it the hard way).

> Anyway if you can produce a patch that doesn't interfere with my workflow and
> it helps both you and Adrian i guess we could commit it if noone else
> disagrees.

I have no idea how to do it, so I'll investigate when I find some more time.

> Cheers,
>   Albert
>

>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> >   Albert