On Thu, Jul 23, 2009, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2009, at 3:36 PM, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>
>> Well, the main point of pkg-config is not querying the version of a
>> library, but to _transitively_ query the build-time flags required to
>> build against a library. For this reason even our RPM_CHECK_LIB is
>> able
>> to use pkg-config files ;-)
>
> That's the point, transitivity doesn't apply.
>
> popt has no flags, links nothing else, all that is needed is -lpopt.
>
> But I will apply the patch, easier than describing why pkg-config
> is useless (and will remain useless forever) for popt.

Only true if you install POPT into standard system locations. But if I
install POPT with --includedir=/usr/include/popt --libdir=/usr/lib/popt
the pkg-config file still allows me to build and link against POPT
without having to know its particular install locations (assuming that
at least the popt.pc is in a standard location or at least in the
PKG_CONFIG_PATH -- or whatever the name of this variable is). So, yes
and no, it can be considered a little bit overkill for POPT, but in
general it is already useful just because it encapsulates/remembers the
install locations.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       r...@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com