Hello,

On Wed, 01.02.2006 at 16:52:24 +0100, Marc Balmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> * Andreas Vögele wrote:
> > third-party PHP ports, like for example Horde, depend on the php5
> > port.  You can't built packages that depend on php4.
> An you can't use modern software like recent horde based stuff with
> PHP4.

why not depend on PHP5 for packages that need it, on PHP4 OR PHP5 for
packages that are ok with any of them, and have both PHP4 and PHP5
around?

> > If I were the OP I would install the relevant third-party PHP packages
> > manually without using the ports system.  Alternatively, he could copy
> > those ports to /usr/ports/mystuff and alter the dependencies.
>
> Why not consider using PHP5?

While neither PHP4 nor PHP5 give me great feelings of trust, PHP5 is
still too new for my taste, and also generally claimed to require
_much_ more machine resources. I'm not really thrilled at throwing more
hardware at PHP if there is no *compelling* reason.

Also, we need Typo3 (blech) which in turn requires PHP4, not PHP5.
Compatibility with PHP5 is planned for 4.0, so turned around, 3.8.x
isn't compatible with PHP5, and 4.0 beta isn't, either.

Best,
--Toni++