On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 05:38:16PM +0100, Alexandre Ratchov wrote:

> jack is very different from esd/arts/pulse, it's a framework around
> which apps for music are developped. IMO classic apps with audio
> backends don't need jack backends as long as they can work without
> jack. Advanced audio apps are built around jack and cannot be
> ported to something else because they use features that only jack
> has (eg. synchronization between apps)

what I find most useful about jack is the ability to share
input/output with different audio apps in realtime.  e.g.
record a remote stream being played by mplayer in audacity.
or apply effects to live input with one program and record
the result with another.  traditionally this would require
multiple machines "jacked" together, or "jacking" a machine's
output back into the input, both of which would introduce
noise and otherwise degrade the signal due to multiple A/D
conversions.

--
jake...@sdf.lonestar.org