Travis a écrit :
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 03:43:09PM -0500, Travis wrote:
>
>> Closer... now Thunderbird prompts for my password over and over, but I've
>> set it properly.
>>

> What's the meaning of:
>
> Oct 10 22:40:55 lexus postfix/smtpd[13983]: warning: SASL authentication
> failure: cannot connect to saslauthd server: Permission denied

It means exactly what it says. smtpd can't access saslauthd socket.
This socket is probably in
/var/run/saslauthd if smtpd is not chrooted, and
/var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd if smtpd is chrooted.

Once you find it, check ownership and permissions of that file as well
as those of its parent directories.

PS. next time, please use google before asking.