Victor Duchovni:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 02:55:07PM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
>
> > Mark Martinec:
> > >
> > > Policy delegation protocol, I suppose.
> >
> > Confirmed (I referred him to the mailing list, and have no
> > more information than what has already been posted).
>
> Then perhaps the question is about expanding the state passed via
> XFORWARD to include everything known to the receiving SMTP server,
> including SASL login names, client cert fingerprints, ...
>
> If so, this is unlikely to happen. A policy daemon on the input instance
> can, if it so chooses, prepend a custom header to encode additional
> desired "envelope" details, and this header can be parsed by downstream
> filters.
>
> One limitation is that prepending multiple headers in a single policy
> call is not currently possible. A milter may be necessary for more complex
> processing.

There is no reason why the attributes could not be bundled with
the delegation protocol, other than that different parts of Postfix
evolve at different rates.  Each xforward attribute already needs
to go into the SMTP server, SMTP client, SMTP server's proxy client,
queue file records, and delivery agent requests.

This thread suggests that each xforward attribute also needs to be
made available via Milter macros (in smtpd and cleanup), and via
the policy delegation protocol.

But yes, the ability to produce extra message headers is limited.