On Thursday 06 November 2008 14:03:09 Wietse Venema wrote:
> Nikita Kipriyanov:
> > Michael Moritz ?????:

> > > Thanks but I have quite a number of different soures for usernames
> > > (sql, aliases, virtusers, ..). Just thinking since one machine is
> > > already running postfix and "knows" all the valid reciepient names
> > > isn't there a simple way of getting that full list - surely it must be
> > > stored somewhere?
> >
> > It is stored on that "one machine", in different sources (sql, aliases,
> > virtusers).
> > Postfix doesn't aggregate this information, it queries sql, db-files etc.
> >
> > So, if you want to have it aggregated, you must do it yourself.
>
> The only aggregation method for this purpose that's built into
> Postfix is called "reject_unverified_recipient", and this builds
> the table one query at a time.

Thjanks Wietse and Nikita. I currently use reject_unverified_recipient. There
are two (or maybe three) problems I have with this though: First if an
address hasn't been checked it gives a 4xx while checking on the main
machine - I'm already using gps for greylisting and this is an additional
delay and the machines are even physically next to each other and secondly,
since I use a recipients cache file that will grow and need maintaining. (The
third problem would be having to delete (?) the cache every time users,
aliases, sql, etc are altered on the mail/smtp machine). Could postfix offer
some sort of "verify this address" service / socket / port?

Thanks

mimo