Thomas Glanzmann:
> so what happened. erld671x is out of resources, it send an e-mail to
> postmas...@erld671x.erlf.siemens.de but because it is horrible
> misconfigured it sends that e-mail over its smart host which delivers it
> back, which results in a tempfailure which again triggers an out of
> resource e-mail. Thank you for staying with me on this one.
>
> Feb 10 01:16:14 erld671x postfix/smtpd[6621]: NOQUEUE: reject: MAIL from
> erld604x.erlf.siemens.de[194.138.228.204]: 452 Insufficient system storage;
> proto=ESMTP helo=<erld604x.erlf.siemens.de>
> Feb 10 01:16:14 erld671x postfix/smtpd[6621]: warning: not enough free space
> in mail queue: 1966080 bytes < 1.5*message size limit

Hmm, 2GB is not a lot of free space indeed.

Postfix tries to avoid the situation where the system is 100% full
and it can no longer get work done.

To completely avoid such conditions, Postfix would have to reserve
an amount of space the size of (message size limit * inbound
concurrency). Unfortunately, this is not practical in many cases,
so it settles for 1.5 times the message size limit.

> > > that softbounce and so on until I'm out of resources. Shouldn't postfix
> > > detect that this is a tempfailure and do exactly nothing and retry a few
> > > hours later? Again this was with postfix version 2.1.1.
>
> > Not if you turn on postmaster notification for resource problems.
>
> I was unaware of that option. Thank you for explicitly mention it:
>
> (erld603x) [~] postconf | grep -i notify
> notify_classes = resource, software

Yes, the default includes "resource, software". That was a good
choice 10 years ago.