Daniel L. Miller:
> Wietse Venema wrote:
> > Daniel L. Miller:
> >
> >> On a whim, I tried something else.  I tried telnet'ing to the two
> >> listeners - but used the EHLO command to see what was reported.  I do
> >> get different responses.  Does this mean anything significant?  I notice
> >>

> > The only thing that matters is that the proxy replies with 2xx to
> > the DATA command, which is not allowed by the SMTP protocol.
> >
> But (supposedly) that reply should not be getting generated by ASSP -
> but is being passed on from Postfix.  Or is that totally wrong - and I
> need to focus on a possible ASSP bug?

For a proper analysis, you need to make accurate recordings:

1) One tcpdump for client<->before-proxy postfix smtpd

2) One tcpdump for before-proxy postfix smtpd<->proxy

3) One tcpdump for proxy<->after-proxy postfix smtpd

Then we have the evidence to decide which program responds
out of protocol.

I will not participate in this discussion until you have
proper evidence.