What is "my_custom_transport.example.com" ? A subdomain?
Yes.  In addition, this list uses example.com as a basis quite frequently.
You didn't provide your own domain, so J.P. used this as an example.

As a side note, it doesn't have to be a real sub-domain. When the mail is handed off to postfix my_custom_transport.example.com will be found in the transport_maps table since you defined it there (or will soon enough) along with my_custom_transport. From there postfix will try to deliver the mail using the definition of my_custom_transport in master.cf. I'm sure some folks can get into more details than I can on what really happens, but in a nutshell this is how things will flow.

When you create your pseudo domain for use in this setup, it's probably best to use a non existent sub-domain or some variant of your real domain just to help avoid confusion or complications down the road. This is not guaranteed to prevent problems, but in my opinion it's a good first step to avoiding them. I haven't personally seen a best practices guide for these sorts of situations. Just don't call your pseudo domain (gmail|yahoo|hotmail).com or some other real domain that accepts mail.