Wietse Venema via Postfix-users <postfix-users@postfix.org> wrote:
> Michael Grimm via Postfix-users:

>> Sometimes outgoing mail is deferred due to "reputational issues"
>> at the receiving side. These "reputational issues" mostly concerned
>> my IP6 addresses, thus I removed IP6 mailing completely. But now,
>> I do want to give it a try, again.
>
> If it's just Google related, then you can try this to avoid
> their IPv6 addresses.

No, not only. All major Mail providers in Germany once in a while complained
about my IP6 addresses. But I always succeeded in getting them whitelisted
again. But this normally takes some time.

> /etc/postfix/main.cf:
>    smtp_dns_reply_filter = pcre:/etc/postfix/smtp_dns_reply_filter
>
> /etc/postfix/smtp_dns_reply_filter:
>    # /domain ttl IN AAAA address/ action, all case-insensitive.
>    # Note: the domain name ends in ".".
>    /^\S+\.google.com\.\s+\S+\s+\S+\s+AAAA\s+/ IGNORE
>
> That's what I have been using for the past 10 years.

Wow! I would have never ever had a look at smtp_dns_reply_filter. Thanks.

>> In the past, whenever a mail has been deferred, I manually modified
>> inet_protocols to the protocol *not* involved, restarted postfix
>> and ran 'postqueue -f'. After having the "reputational issue"
>> solved, I returned to inet_protocols=all.
>>
>> Question: Is there a better way to achieve this (automatically)
>> what I call "fallback to another protocol if receiver provides
>> both"?
>
> Perhaps you can use smtp_delivery_status_filter to turn rputation
> related 5XX (reject) replies into into 4XX (defer) replies.
>
> /etc/postfix/main.cf:
>    smtp_delivery_status_filter = pcre:/etc/postfix/smtp_dsn_filter
>
> /etc/postfix/smtp_dsn_filter:
>    /^5(\.\d+\.\d+ .+ blah reputation blah .+)/ 4$1
>
> With that, Postfix will try other IP addresses.

Thanks again. I will need to understand that first, but I will definitely give
it a try.

> Postfix has a "rule based language" for receiving mail, but there
> is no such thing for outbound deliveries.

Just out of curiosity: I do assume that implementing such a thing would be a
major effort?
Please, don't get me wrong, this isn't a feature request of mine. I am only
curious of how much functionality would be needed for that?

Thanks again and regards,
Michael