Wietse Venema via Postfix-users <postfix-users@postfix.org> wrote
> Michael Grimm via Postfix-users:

>> Very recently I re-enabled IPv6 on my servers, and removed my
>> 'inet_protocols=ipv4' from main.cf and did *not* add 'inet_protocols=all'
>> because I checked for the default setting:
>>
>>     mail> postconf -d inet_protocols
>>     inet_protocols = all
>>
>> Thus, my main.cf lacks *any* inet_protocols setting!
>
> THAT CLAIM IS FALSE.

Sorry. What I meant is: I did remove 'inet_protocols=ipv4', thus no
inet_protocols setting in my main.cf

> No, that is not what "postconf -d" does.

Ok, understood.

> If you want to know what inet_protocols setting is in effect
>
>    postconf inet_protocols

Current setting:

        mail> grep inet_protocols main.cf
        inet_protocols = all

        mail> postconf inet_protocols
        inet_protocols = all

Now, I removed this line from main.cf, thus no more settings regarding
inet_protocols:

        mail> grep inet_protocols main.cf

        mail> postconf inet_protocols
        inet_protocols = all

Now, I do reinstall postfix:

        mail> pkg install -f -y postfix
        (FreeBSD's package compiled by poudriere)

After reinstallation:

        mail> grep inet_protocols main.cf
        inet_protocols = ipv4

        mail> postconf inet_protocols
        inet_protocols = ipv4

That is what I meant, the line 'inet_protocols = ipv4' had been added.

>> Today, I had to recompile and reinstall all of my ports (ABI change), and
>> found, that 'inet_protocols=ipv4' has been added to main.cf?!
>
> Indeed, many sites don't have IPv6 connectivity, and trying to connect to
> IPv6 sites is
> not useful.

Yes I do understand that.

Ok, I will keep 'inet_protocols = all' until IPv6 will be enabled by default.

Thanks for your explanations.

Regards,
Michael