1. How much control do you have over the remote server?
      None.
    2. Is the remote server using LDAP to identify users too?
      Its a Gmail server.
    3. If you have little to no control and LDAP is not being used, then
       how co-operative are the administrators of the remote server?
      They are very co-opertative.
Other than that if you can get a valid list of delivery addresses from
the remote server scripting a solution to turn it into a valid map for
forwarding is relatively easy.
Yes, this is what i have done now. I wanted to check recipients with LDAP and forward so that i need not add a valid recipient list. I configured the server as such using address rewriting. Later, it occurred to me that not having valid recipient list would cause backscatter mail.

--
-- Akshay