Hello,

I try to understand the difference between alias_database and alias_maps.
postconf(5) contains:

alias_database: The alias databases for local(8) delivery that are updated with
"newaliases" or with "sendmail -bi". This is a separate configuration parameter
because not all the tables specified with $alias_maps have to be local files.
alias_maps: If you change the alias database, run "postalias /etc/aliases" (or
wherever your system stores the mail alias file), or simply run "newaliases" to
build the necessary DBM or DB file.

newaliases(1) says: the  program processes the file(s) specified with the
alias_database configuration parameter

So, the documentation of alias_maps states, that to reflect changes in its
value (or the table pointed to by alias_maps), the user has to simply run
newaliases.  But the documentation of aliases_database states exactly the same,
and highlights that by this fact it differs from alias_maps.

In any case, I do not understand what happens if alias_database and alias_maps
are both set, point to two different tables, and the same key is in present in
both tables, but has different value.  Does alias_database have precedence over
alias_maps, does alias_maps have precedence over alias_database, or this is
undefined?

Or, does postalias/newaliases use is alias_database as input, ignoring
alias_maps, while local ignores alias_databases and uses alias_maps?  Thus when
the same table is supposed to be used by local and postaliases, the same value
(filename) must be set to alias_database and alias_maps?  In such a case this
should be communicated more clearly in the documentation.  I think it would be
better to have only one parameter: alias_maps, and newaliases should either
update, what is pointed to by
alias_maps, or report an error on failure.  In any case the presence of the two
options currently suggests that there are use cases to have for both options
two different local files as value and the documentation does not elaborate
whether this is a good or bad idea.

On a different note, https://www.postfix.org/postfix-manuals.html is supposed
to contain “All Postfix manual pages”, but it does not list qshape(1).

Greetings
  Дилян