Curtis:
> What I'd prefer to do here is have the bounces held for customer review so
> that they can realize that they've got an email address that isn't
> delivering and fix the problem on their end.

Sorry, that does not work.  Even my two-user domain sometimes gets
thousands of email messages a day for non-existent recipients. No-one
is going to review such garbage for mis-directed legitimate mail.

Companies that provide out-sourced email filtering service often
don't have up-to-date recipient lists. Instead they verify addresses
in real-time.  The Postfix implementation of this is described in
http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html.  It supports
routing overrides, positive caching and negative caching.