On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 13:50 +1000, Barney Desmond wrote:
> You need to ask yourself if this is a real problem, or something
> you're just imagining. Mysql generally works fine, 50,000 messages a
> day at 12 queries each, equates to several queries per second. This is
> an "easy" load.
That is a comfort to know. My main concern was this hammering was not
optimal, but it is welcome to make as many queries as it likes if it
does not crash the database server. Perhaps Postgresql would be a bit
more manly ? but slower ?
> If you're concerned, then disable the parent domain
> searching as mentioned before.
Forgive my sincere stupidness, but I did not see where it said 'do this
to disable parent domain searching'. I would like to do this and see if
it makes a difference. What do I need to take out/add to do this ?
>  If you're worried about mysql's
> stability then you probably shouldn't be using it. Using a database as
> a table backend carries its own share of risks and failure cases.
It is not ideal to use it but it makes it easy to write web front ends
for management. I could script the generation of index postmaps from the
database but will this scale well? How big can the postmaps be before it
gets a little crazy? 100 lines? 1000 lines? 10,000 lines? 100,000 lines?
I cannot find any figures to say at which point it is best to cross
over ? This would be very useful and help me make an informed choice.
> notice in your postconf output that you're not using proxymap with
> mysql. This is generally recommended:
> http://www.postfix.org/MYSQL_README.html (notes on client connections)
Thank you. I have looked at this and taken your notes on board.
> http://www.postfix.org/proxymap.8.html (specific proxy:mysql example)
And this also. I don't think there is any major benefit being sold to me
here for using a proxy map and I am wondering if this will introduce a
small amount of latency perhaps? But I wont kick the gifted horse and I
will try this today - thank you Sir.
C Werclick .Lot
Technical incompetent
Loyal Order Of The Teapot.

This e-mail and its attachments is intended only to be used as an e-mail
and an attachment. Any use of it for other purposes other than as an
e-mail and an attachment will not be covered by any warranty that may or
may not form part of this e-mail and attachment.