Hello,

I have been toying with the best way to produce a report of 'allowed'
messages that have made it all the way through my Postfix. I love the
Postfix logs, they give such detail on failures and refusals and parsing
this is quite straightforward.

The entertainment commences when I try to figure out how to produce a
report of 'allowed' messages. This needs to contain just a few pieces of
key information;

date/time       from    to      subject         client IP

At first, I thought 'this will be easy' but upon closer examination this
is not as simple as it looks. Where Postfix is multi-process, the bits
of information are in different places and consolidating this has some
challenges. In particular matching up (by script) the interaction for a
transaction between;

postfix/smtpd
postfix/cleanup
postfix/virtual
postfix/qmgr

Perhaps there is an easy way to get the five metrics I would like in a
report?

I am starting to think I may need to plug something in to 'scan' the
headers of a message after Postfix is done with it or pipe the messages
through a script?

To keep things lean and for learning, I am interested to achieve this
with a some Perl- so my interest is really in finding the 'key' to link
the information together from what is already produced - or - to work
out how to get messages to pipe through a script as 'virtual' delivers
them. Unless Virtual can give me all the information I need (logging
options????)

Perhaps some of the very clever guru's here have some useful suggestion?

C Werclick .Lot
Technical incompetent
Loyal Order Of The Teapot.

This e-mail and its attachments is intended only to be used as an e-mail
and an attachment. Any use of it for other purposes other than as an
e-mail and an attachment will not be covered by any warranty that may or
may not form part of this e-mail and attachment.