On Sep 24, 2009, at 4:21 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:

If Postfix announces a size limit of X, many SMTP clients won't
attempt to send larger messages, and Postfix won't accept a larger
message (and thus Postfix will not generate a bounce email message).

If you must configure Postfix to accept messages larger than X,
(and then return it to the sender) then you would have to use a
content filter to return the message with custom text.  Postfix
does not have different templates for different error types; it
only distinguishes between delayed mail and other errors.

that had been my hope: that I could just find the template used to reject mail on the basis of size. I imagine Postfix does do that (reject on the basis of size) since it would be unsafe to assume the clients respect the stated limit.

Generally one message can have more than one recipient and each of them may
have different errors, so error-dependent templates don't scale well.

yes but only one sender and it's the sender we're concerned with here (who needs to be notified)

If the files are large, then I would suggest sending the users a
temporary password for a website upload link. This gives the user
immediate feedback.

yeah.  I have a dropbox for that purpose