On 1/30/2012 9:32 PM, Jim Seymour wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 00:30:33 +0000
> James Day <james....@ontraq.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>> ... trying the same account details from Windows Live
>> Mail throws up a:
>>
>> "554 Relay Access denied" error message.
> [snip]
>
> IIRC, "Relay access denied" is a symptom of a non-SSL attempted
> connection/login when "disable_plaintext_auth = yes" in dovecot.conf.

The error message means the mail was rejected by
reject_unauth_destination, and that means the client didn't
authenticate (or tried and failed).

If AUTH was tried and failed, it will be noted in the postfix and
dovecot logs.  If no failures are logged, AUTH wasn't attempted.

This may or may not have anything to do with SSL/TLS.  Another good
guess is that dovecot needs to offer LOGIN and/or PLAIN mechanisms.

But we're just guessing here.  We need more details of the
connection and configuration to give more concrete advice.

  -- Noel Jones