Am 20.11.2013 13:55, schrieb bitozoid:
> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Brian Evans <grkni...@scent-team.com> wrote:
>> The smtp client process does not have support for the deprecated smtps
>> protocol (465) you are trying to use.
>
> I have another instance of postfix working against other smarthost
> (Exchange in this case) via port 465, and it seems not to be a problem
> at all

you do not - not with a public relay - period

> Afaik it is better to work with standard port numbers,
> but it is not a requirement

if the other side is your server and you configured 465 wrong with STARTTLS yes
but 587/465 is not only the port, 465 is TLS wrapper mode which means the
initial connection has to be done encrpyted and so it works technically
completly different than STARTTLS

http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html

Client-side SMTPS support
Although the Postfix SMTP client by itself doesn't support TLS wrapper mode, it
is relatively easy to forward a
connection through the stunnel program if Postfix needs to deliver mail to some
legacy system that doesn't support
STARTTLS. Use one of the following two examples, to send only some remote mail,
or to send all remote mail, to an
SMTPS server.