On 8/26/2022 10:00 AM, post...@ptld.com wrote:
is telling logging to add the '?' at the line break.

Unprintable characters are replaced with "?"

I understand that concept. The only part that leaves me confused is where did an unprintable character come from and how can you tell there was an unprintable character in the subject line to be able to assume that is the reason why? IMO that seems unlikely.

The mail client is free to put whatever crap in the Subject (and other headers and the envelope) they want, regardless of standards or usefulness. It would be unsafe to send this crap to the logs since there is a rich history of exploits against logging systems and various log analysis tools. Therefore unprintable characters - which have the greatest possibility of breaking things yet are easily filtered - are replaced in the log with "?" for safety.

Wietse said postfix logging "does not alter subject lines". Replacing unprintable characters with '?' in my opinion is altering, if that is what is happening.

Both statements are true.
Postfix does not alter the subject line as eventually delivered. The logging is altered/sanitized for safety.

I can tell that im beating a dead horse now and will just let this issue go. Bug or not, it is clear that it is not going to change. Thank you everyone for the replies.

There is nothing to change, except possibly documenting this behavior better.

  -- Noel Jones