On 2023-05-26 at 07:05:09 UTC-0400 (Fri, 26 May 2023 13:05:09 +0200)
Paul Menzel via Postfix-users <pmen...@molgen.mpg.de>
is rumored to have said:

Dear Postfix folks,

Apple Mail violates the standard [1],

That's no "standard" that's a Mozilla Inc. bug report.

There is no violation of standards here, there is only an *uncommon* MIME structure.

resulting in attachments only being shown in the HTML view.

How your MUA presents a particular MIME structure is implementation dependent.

E.g. my MUA shows me a message with attachments as having attachments, whether it is rendering HTML or not, no matter which part of a multipart/alternative message it is presenting. That's a MUA design choice.

This behaviour is to be expected given the incorrect MIME structure
of the message. It is:

multipart/alternative
  text/plain
  multipart/mixed
    text/html
    attachment

So when selecting the plain part, you don't see the attachment
associated with the alternative part.

As Viktor noted, this CAN be a legitimate choice. If the "attachments" are images that only exist to be displayed inline in rendered HTML, there's no point in trying to present them in a MNUA that only displays the text/plain part.

The message structure should be:

multipart/mixed
  multipart/alternative
    text/plain
    text/html
  attachment

If we wanted to detect such messages, and add a notification or extract the attachment, what component would be the right part for such message alteration? A milter?

A milter would be the best choice. Both MIMEDefang and MailMunge (a descendant of MIMEDefang) could do this, if you can work with the Perl MIME::Tools module.

(I am aware, that this will break with end-to-end encryption (GPG or S/MIME).)

It will also break DKIM. Therefore it would be unsuccessful if you were to do this with mail that you want to relay or forward elsewhere.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire