Which version of PostGIS are you coming from again?

In theory, as long as your old is running a newish PostGIS 3+, it should be
safe enough to just NOT run

SELECT postgis_extensions_upgrade();

If you don’t run that, then your database is just running with a newer lib
file, but old scripts.  So then just installing the binaries of older should
work fine.

One caveat, I believe we did make sure changes that caused some functions not
to work, but I can’t remember what those were.

All I know is if you run

SELECT postgis_full_version();

And you get an error after upgrading your binaries, then not running
postgis_extensions_ugprade is not an option.