On Mar 4, 2015, at 3:51 AM, Felician Nemeth <neme...@tmit.bme.hu> wrote:

> Hi Murphy,
>
> Finally, I've had a little time to have a look at your ovsdb module.
> It's absolutely great and the connect_back feature is really convenient.

I'm glad it sounds like it was somewhat useful.

> Unfortunately, I felt the DSL didn't ease writing the code for the toy
> example I created.  However, the DSL does help reading it.

Thanks for the feedback.  Do you think better documentation for the DSL would
help (a low bar, since there's basically none), or do you think the DSL just
isn't likely to be helpful?  Did you try using the normal OOP interface instead?

> Maybe it's not a shortcoming at all, but it's not possible to specify a
> context to callback functions.  I mean I have to use object methods as
> callbacks if I'd like to access some details of the transaction in the
> callback function.  This is OK, but sometimes it would be good to use
> something like the following:
>
>  conn.transact( ... ).callback(cb, var1, var2)
>
>  def cb (results, var1, var2):

I think I just assumed you'd use a lambda...
conn.transact( ... ).callback(lambda results: cb(results, var1, var2))

Or move results to the end of the parameter list of cb() and then use
functools.partial (or just use named arguments) for the same sort of effect.

If you think having this built in would be a really valuable feature, though, I
don't think I'm opposed.

> I've also found a few minor bugs.  The fixes and my sample modules
> (which might be useful for future ovsdb users) are here:
> https://github.com/MurphyMc/pox/compare/experimental...nemethf:experimental

Thanks!  My time to work on POX lately is so limited, I am thinking that for
eel, I will just pull the OVSDB stuff from my experimental branch and call it
"done".  Any objection to me integrating your patches and samples?

Or on that note... I've been meaning to create a repository of POX stuff that
isn't in the mainline... I don't know exactly how I want it set up.  But the
idea is to try to gather stuff that people want to share, but that doesn't
belong in mainline because it's a bit too off-the-beaten-path, or not generic
enough, or there's not a good maintenance story for, etc.  If you (or anyone)
wants to weigh in on whether the OVSDB stuff belongs there or in the mainline,
I'm interested.

-- Murphy

> On Mon, Nov 17 2014, Murphy McCauley wrote:
>
>> Yeah, sure.  It's in that same experimental branch of my fork.
>>
>> -- Murphy

>>> I've also read in the POX Wiki that there is an experimental ovsdb support.
>>> However, I cannot find anything in the sources.  Is it possible to play
>>> with this experimental code?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Felicián