STI

Nov 15, 2004
Growing tide of Islamic militancy
Experts warn that militant voices on the streets are
gaining credibility
Athens

FROM tidy and prosperous Holland to a dense, tropical
rubber plantation in southern Thailand, there are
similarities that suggest new flashpoints in the
global struggle against radical Islam.

A note impaled on Dutch filmmaker Theo van Gogh's body
by his alleged Muslim killer threatened attacks
against Holland's politicians in the name of Islam.

The body of a 60-year-old Buddhist worker in Thailand
was found last week with the message 'more will be
killed' in revenge for the deaths of 85 Muslim
protesters last month in a region with a mounting
Islamic insurgency.

'The fault lines are growing,' said Mr Fawaz Gerges, a
professor of Middle Eastern and International Affairs
at Sarah Lawrence College in Bronxville, New York.

'It's not just between the Muslims and non-Muslims.
It's also within Islam itself. It's a battle between
moderate Muslims and extremist forces that threaten to
hijack Islam.'

The most recent hot spots zigzag around the atlas -
from Liberia in West Africa to the Netherlands in
Europe and to South-east Asia.

They join a growing roster of places feeling the
strains of religious conflict and terrorism along the
edges of the Islamic world - regions as diverse as
Chechnya, Nigeria, Spain, Central Asia and the
Philippines. Even China is worried about separatist
sentiment in its vast and mostly Muslim province of
Xinjiang.

Part of the reason, many Islamic experts say, can be
traced to global communications that forge common
points of reference, such as Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin
Laden's defiance or the guerilla attacks on US forces
in Iraq.

But even more powerful rallying cries come from
firebrand imams and opinion-shapers: That Islam is
under threat and it is the duty of followers to take a
stand.

In Amsterdam, moderate imam Abdel Eillah fears the
scales are tipping in a troubling direction among
Muslim immigrants who fail to adapt.

'When I hear young men praise violence in the name of
Islam, I fear for my faith and I fear for the world.
We must fight it before it's too late,' he said, after
the Nov 2 slaying of Mr van Gogh, whose work included
harsh commentary against traditional Islam.

Former US ambassador Richard Parker says: 'The common
language of Islamic militancy is growing louder.'

'This is not something that happened overnight. It's a
feeling of injustice among Muslims that goes back
decades,' said Mr Parker, who served as a diplomat in
Lebanon, Algeria and Morocco.

'But now it's become much more legitimate to say that
violence and 'holy war' is the proper way.'

The bloodshed in southern Thailand could mark a
resurgence of a long-simmering Muslim insurgency and,
some officials fear, prove fertile ground for Islamic
terrorists.

Thailand's Muslim minority has complained for decades
about economic and social discrimination by the
Buddhist authorities. Violence subsided in the 1990s
after government concessions for greater funds and
Muslim political representation. But the calm began to
erode in recent years.

In April, more than 100 Islamic militiamen were killed
in raids on security posts. On Oct 25, at least 85
Muslims died when security forces dispersed a
demonstration outside a police station. Most of the
victims suffocated or were crushed after being packed
into army trucks.

Mr Thitinan Pongsudhirak, an assistant professor of
international relations at Chulalongkorn University,
believes the strong retaliation from the authorities
'can only galvanise the Muslim insurgency in the
south'.

'We have not yet seen escalation,' he said. 'But I
still think we may be headed from bad to worse.' --
AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.uni.cc

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;