http://www.workers.org/world/2005/venezuela-0303/

'Imperialism cannot stop history!'
Packed event builds stronger ties with Venezuela
By Rebeca Toledo
New York

Published Feb 23, 2005 10:55 AM
A standing-room-only crowd of several hundred people attended an historic event
here on Feb. 11. The activity was organized by the Alberto Lovera Bolivarian
Circle, Fuerza de la Revolucion, International Action Center, Cuban Solidarity
N.Y. and others. It was held at the 1199 Health and Hospital Workers' hall.

The event brought together many differ ent movements for an evening in
solidarity with the Bolivarian Revolution of Vene zuela. It was dedicated to
the memory of Malcolm X, Ossie Davis and James Forman.

Speakers included former U.S. Attorney General Ramsey Clark and author Jane
Franklin.

The highlight of the night was back-to-back speeches from representatives of
the Venezuelan and Cuban governments.

First up was Dr. Carlos Alvarado, vice minister for social development in
Venezuela. He explained that he was in New York to attend the 10-year
celebration of the 1995 Copenhagen Declaration to eradicate poverty.

The Bolivarian government under President Hugo Chávez in 1998 "started to
change the laws and the structure of the government and declared that it was
responsible for the basic rights of the people: housing, education, healthcare,
jobs, women's rights and Indigenous rights." The social indicators in 2000 and
2001 quickly started to show a decrease in poverty in the country.

"When we continued our march toward eradicating poverty, invoking the people to
be participates in history and challenging the very core of the powerful, we
were met with a coup attempt in 2002 and work lockouts at the end of 2002. This
can be called nothing but terrorism," Alvarado stated. "This was organized by a
minority in the military and the government and of course it was supported by
U.S. imperialism. All those who carried out these acts of terrorism are mostly
living in the U.S. now, with some living in Colombia. We ask, who then really
supports terrorism?"

Instead of giving in to the tremendous pressure it faced, in 2003 the
Venezuelan government turned to developing social programs that would raise the
standard of living of the people. "Mission Robinson has raised literacy to 80
percent in less than a year. Mission Barrio Adentro has brought healthcare to
the most excluded sectors for the first time; 15,000 Cuban medical personnel
have made this possible. Mission Zamora has begun to distribute land to the
peasants. Credits have been made available and the peasants have begun to be
organized into cooperatives."

'U.S. is destabilizing force'

Marcos Fuenmayor, a Venezuelan representative to the United Nations, spoke
next. Responding to a recent U.S. State Department declaration that the Venezu
elan purchase of Russian arms will be a destabilizing force in the region, he
said, "We consider the U.S. military-industrial complex the destabilizing force
in the world. We state again that Venezuela will defend itself against outside
threats."

Responding to Condoleezza Rice's comment that Venezuela is having a negative
impact on the region, he replied, "Perhaps it is a negative influence for those
who want to starve us and declare 'free trade,' which means a concentration of
wealth by big capital."

Responding to the recent kidnapping of a FARC leader in Venezuela, he said,
"Colombia was used by imperialism. Imperialism's goal is to put Venezuela on
the list of states harboring terrorists.

"The Bolivarian Revolution is with all of the oppressed of Latin America, Asia
and Africa and the workers in Europe and the U.S. As Che said, 'We are anywhere
where the powerful oppress the weak.'"

He continued, "The cost of being the voice of the poor is to be threatened and
harassed by imperialism. But we readily take on this responsibility. We do not
want a confrontation with the U.S. But we will not let anyone threaten our
sovereignty.

"Events like tonight's show us that we are on the right path, the path of
history. Imperialism can not stop history," he stressed.

'Political will finds a way'

The Cuban ambassador to the UN, Orlando Requeijo, began by saying, "Venezuela
is a vibrant example for all of Latin America and the Caribbean. It is doing
everything that goes against neoliberalism. Like Venezuela, Cuba does the exact
opposite of what organizations such as the IMF [International Monetary Fund]
and World Bank dictate. Our two countries have done more with less resources
because of this."

In December 2004, Venezuela and Cuba signed a broad range of accords, including
the Bolivarian Alternative for Latin America (ALBA), a direct response to the
U.S.'s Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA).

Requeijo explained, "ALBA is based on the integrative, complementary use of
resources. Some of the things we are trying to do are to end customs tariffs
between the two countries, develop industries both in Cuba and Venezuela and we
trade in kind or in other currencies. We do not have to rely on the U.S. dollar
for anything."

Cuba provides scholarships to Vene zuelans to study in Cuba as well as medical
personnel to carry out its missions. Requeijo proudly stated that in 10 years,
tens of thousands of Venezuelan medical staff will have been trained by Cuban
personnel.

"But I want to talk about what Venezuela is doing for Cuba. Venezuela is
providing energy technology to Cuba, providing scholarships to Cuban students
for energy training. Venezuela is financing energy and electrical development,
road pavement, the building of aqueducts, the maintenance of ports and the
sewage system.

"This is the problem, this is the danger to imperialism," he concluded. "The
integration of a Bolivarian Latin America is moving forward in a real way.
Political will finds a way. Problems are solved when the lines of communication
are clear. When there is a clear strategy, victory is certain."

This article is copyright under a Creative Commons License.
Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Support independent news http://www.workers.org/orders/donate.php)

DonorsChoose. A simple way to provide underprivileged children resources
often lacking in public schools. Fund a student project in NYC/NC today!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/5F6XtA/.WnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.uni.cc

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;