http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Indonesia-turns-back-respected-academic/2005/03/02/1109700544957.html?oneclick=true

Indonesia turns back respected academic
By Matthew Moore, Herald Correspondent, in Jakarta

March 3, 2005
One of Australia's most highly regarded Indonesia experts has been banned from
entering the country in a move reminiscent of restrictions imposed by the
Soeharto regime.
Edward Aspinall, of Sydney University, arrived in Jakarta with a business visa
on Tuesday night en route to help an aid agency in Aceh. He was told his name
had been placed on a blacklist on February 25, and he was sent back to Sydney
on the same flight.

He is the first academic to be banned from Indonesia since the election of
President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, and the move against someone well known for
his moderate views and articles has shocked experts on Indonesia around the
world.

Dr Aspinall said he had lost count of the number of times he had been to
Indonesia since he first lived in Java when he was 14. He was at a loss to know
why he had been banned now.

"I am shocked and confused, I find it very hard to know why," he said. "The
staff were very polite and showed me a document which said the reason for the
ban was a letter from the Indonesian ambassador, dated February 25, the same
day I was issued a visa at the Indonesian consulate in Sydney."

Dr Aspinall was going to Aceh as a consultant for an Australian aid agency
project when he was stopped. Several weeks ago he did voluntary work in Aceh
translating for Australian doctors treating patients in hospital.

Last night, Indonesia's ambassador in Canberra, Imron Cotan, confirmed he had
called for Dr Aspinall to be kept out of the country but refused to say why.

Dr Aspinall was recently attacked by the Indonesian embassy's second secretary,
Dino Kusnadi, when he was quoted by the Herald criticising the separatist
rebels of the Free Aceh Movement.

Although such comments would normally attract praise, Mr Kusnadi wrote to the
Herald describing Dr Aspinall as someone "long known to harbour anti-Indonesian
sentiments".

Dr Aspinall has recently accepted an Australian National University appointment
to take over from Dr Harold Crouch, one of the country's leading experts on
Indonesia.

Give the gift of life to a sick child.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/lGEjbB/6WnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.uni.cc