TIMUR DAN BARAT – DAN DIMANA KITA <renungan dari dusun kesenyapan>

non-dualitas vs dualitas.
hakiki, atau gejalawi.
pencerahan atau ritus.
tao dan kejawen, atau lainnya ?
dewasa, atau taman balita...

mengenali diri :
sumarah, sumeleh, merdiko!
syalom itu namanya.

DUDUKKAN EKONOMI DAN IPTEK
DI PANGKUAN ALAM.

Jadilah a Man/Woman for OTHERS (liyan/sesama),
seperti Sang Guru.

GO THE GREEN WAY.
Keselamatan, bukan nafsu
loba tamak rakus raksasa di hati egois.
Terjerat di neraka kota.

------------------------------

Hello, I am auditing a class on Taoism and Western Ideals offered by Bill
Garrett at John F. Kennedy University (Pleasant Hill, Californian). Some of you
might be interested in the first assignment because it connects to our word
constructs. My essay by the name "Taoism Contrasted with Western Outlooks",
follows. Sincerely, Stephen
------------------------------

Stephen P. Smith
PHR4902

Taoism Contrasted with Western Outlooks

Greed is the single biggest quality that distinguishes the Taoist
understanding from Western outlooks, in my view. In the west we struggle with
greed in a way that is much different to the Taoist experiences of people
wedded to nature's harmonies. I will look at this struggle in four areas:
business affairs; religion and morality; science; and in our words.

Despite Adam Smith being influenced by Tao there is a sleepiness that has
overtaken the Western mind. Not knowing ourselves is not controlling our
desires. Adam Smith finds himself subverted into a corruption where self
interests are  said to dominate, leaving mere competition as the ideal and
cooperation as a lost cause. Attorneys will command $300 dollars per hour, and
heaven help the
man that requires ER attention in a hospital without health insurance. The
narrow-minded accountant will ignore the qualitative issues and collapse all
meaning into a single number called the bottom-line. The narrow focus is only
one side of the Tao, and in the West this is the me side in heated competition
for
career advancement. Yet there is a simpler path found by following the Way,
returning to nature with humble needs.

In religion, it may be perceived that a dualistic God has separated himself
from nature and the universe. Morality becomes a question of good triumphing
over evil. God will reward the good and punish the bad. This activity of
religion has been subverted by Western greed. Yet the simple Taoist finds the
sacred in nature. And Sarah Allan has confused herself with her literalism that
has excommunicated God from nature. She forgets that Hegel's God is not
dualistic.
Hegel's God is as much as the sacred that finds itself joined with nature, and
while being Saint John's God that is not in conflict with Tao. Christ is the
Logos, yet all we hear of is this strange war involving the dualistic God;
forgetting that the conflict is only one of invention; forgetting Hegel's God.

Yes, Bill Garrett, science is not immune to the Western struggle with greed.
The Tao cannot be put into literal words. The Tao can only be described because
something must escape; Hegel's spirit escapes by way of dialectical exchange.
Yet greedy scientists must have reasons for everything. A hypothesis must be
turned into a caricature, otherwise it cannot be subjected to Popper's
falsification principle. The western scientist then confuses reality with the
caricature, claiming more than what can be accounted for. The simple Taoist
might warn about science, shaking is head and living to 100 years while
celebrating the funeral of his long lost girl friend. Darwin can be subverted
as badly as Adam Smith. The Tao signifies vitalism, and I challenge Richard
Dawkins to embrace this vitalism that permeates life. The embrace demands no
less the reconciliation of Darwinism with intelligent design; and the Tao did
not evolve as it has no such scientific reason for its being. The Tao is merely
felt, and it is no wonder that Lao Tzu, Heraclitus and Jesus Christ discovered
it well before Darwin or Adam Smith.

We struggle with greed with our Western words. Words are felt in metaphor, or
words explain by literalism. Neither extreme is real in my view. What is real
is the middle way that greed cannot find. Greed tries to collapse the metaphor
into literalism. Sarah Allan attempted the collapse of the Tao into the
principles of hydrology. She failed miserably, even being the best scholar of
Tao.
Nevertheless, postmodernism also fails in it attempted collapse of literalism
into metaphor. We experience euphoria putting words to the magic that is felt
directly. We use our critical eye in correction, and experience a felt
irritation. The felt oscillation goes back and forth, but don't hang onto the
spirit to tightly. It was meant to escape our most selfish plans.

ANDA ?
JANGAN LANJUTKAN MENJONGOS IBLIS KESERAKAHAN KIANAT MUNAFIKUS ?

Kirim email ke