http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2010\05\13\story_13-5-2010_pg3_2
Thursday, May 13, 2010

 Saroush has made an important distinction between the individual and
collective aspects of religion. Collective form of religion tends to obfuscate
the individual experience of divinity due to its overemphasis on the ritual and
legal aspect

I have the good fortune of
translating into Urdu a lengthy interview of Dr Abdoul Karim Saroush as well as
an introduction to his intellectual project, commissioned by a group of young
professionals, who want the Pakistani public to have access to progressive
ideas in the local language through a web portal named 'Roshni' (to be launched
soon). It confirmed what was previously a hunch about the malaise afflicting
Muslim societies and why it is essential for them to develop a strong doctrine
and theoretical base to address the issues confronting them in the modern
world. Due to lack of ijtihad and further development of religious knowledge,
Muslim societies are stuck in the middle ages. Religion is being used for
purposes it was not meant for, while self-cultivation and creative struggle,
which was the hallmark of nascent Muslim society in the seventh century, are
conspicuous by their absence.

An eminent contemporary intellectual and philosopher, Dr Abdoul Karim Saroush
has been called the 'Luther of Islam' for introducing new thought in the
philosophy of religion. He had the unique opportunity of studying at a seminary
as well as receiving modern education. After graduating from the seminary, he
earned a master's degree in chemistry from the University of Tehran and later
studied analytical chemistry in UK for a post-graduate degree. He then entered
the field of philosophy and history of science and earned a degree in that
discipline. Saroush has been a prolific writer and penned numerous articles,
papers and books in English and Persian, many of which have been translated
into other languages. Although he remained a member of the Advisory Council on
Cultural Revolution in the early years of the Iranian revolution, he left it
when it deviated from its original purpose. He became the bĂȘte noire of the
ruling elite with his continuous criticism of the religious regime in Iran. At
one time, he was harassed, threatened and not allowed to lecture and publish
his works. Gleaned from his interview, I would attempt to summarise the major
aspects of Saroush's ideas about state and religion, which were shaped by a
first hand experience of the impact of the Islamic Revolution on Iranian
society.

Before the Iranian revolution, the religious elite made the people believe that
all their problems will be solved once an 'Islamic government' assumed power.
Saroush says, "I clearly realised that those who led our revolution had not
thought beyond the downfall of the tyrannical regime of the Shah. Thus they had
no appreciation of such issues as global economy, modernity, information-driven
administration, and so on. They sincerely believed that if only the rulers were
just and well-meaning, society would follow its 'natural' course." Saroush
says, "The Islamic government in our society is, unfortunately, a government
without theory and doctrine. Thus in areas of economy, politics, human rights
and international affairs, it acts in a haphazard and reactive way. It has
built no foundations and principles from which to act meaningfully."

Saroush believes - and if we look around we will find plenty of evidence to
support this claim - that two major problems of a proclaimed religious society
are hypocrisy and ideologisation of religion, which means turning it into an
instrument of fanaticism and hatred, which is used to attain the object of
unity. In his view, this object can be achieved as much through kindness as
through hatred. He provides an insightful analysis of how politicisation of
religion has had a detrimental impact on Islam itself and goes on to explain
how we can remedy the situation. "The greatest pathology of religion that I
have noticed after the revolution is that it has become plump, even swollen.
Many claims have been made in the name of religion and many burdens are put on
its shoulders. It is neither possible nor desirable for religion, given its
ultimate mission, to carry such a burden. This means purifying religion, making
it lighter and more buoyant, in other words, rendering religion more slender by
sifting, whittling away, erasing the superfluous layers off the face of
religiosity," he says.

Saroush has made an important distinction between individual and collective
aspects of religion. Collective form of religion tends to obfuscate the
individual experience of divinity due to its overemphasis on the ritual and
legal aspect of religion, i.e. its outward manifestations. Some collective
manifestations are based on hatred and resentments as we see in today's world.
He talks of Iranian society, but this assertion rings true for the entire
Muslim world. "Some people in our society...have come to believe that the
essence of religion is enmity, excommunication, and punishment. They need to be
admonished...If we can reconcile Islam with revolution, why not reconcile it
with human rights, democracy, and liberty?" he states, and questions the idea
of deriving an identity from religion. "Developing an identity or a
civilisation was never the intention of the prophets...One of the greatest
theoretical plagues of the Islamic world, in general, is that people are
gradually coming to understand Islam as an identity rather than a truth."

He then comes to the inevitable conclusion that "religiosity is people's
understanding of religion just as science is their understanding of nature." He
casts religion as "a kind of human knowledge subject to the collectivity and
competitiveness of the human soul." He says that change in religion itself is
not possible because, according to traditional beliefs, Muslims will not
pretend to be lawgivers. "But change is inevitable and should be recognised and
explained." Here comes in the role of intellectuals and thinkers to explain to
the Muslims why it is important to dispense with the trappings of old ideas and
come to terms with modern reality. Dr Abdoul Karim Saroush has explained this
remarkable idea in his seminal treatise on the subject, The Theoretical
Contraction and Expansion of Religion. He presents the contention that since
religion is people's understanding of divinity - i.e. it is a form of knowledge
- it is "like other forms of knowledge, subject to all the attributes of
knowledge. It is human, fallible, evolving, and most important of all, it is
constantly in the process of exchange with other forms of knowledge. As such,
its inevitable transformations mirror the transformation of science and other
domains of human knowledge."

Saroush's ideas clearly point towards the dire need for ijtihad, and he states:
"If my ideas have met with some success, it is because I address and trace such
issues in a theoretically impoverished environment."

The writer is an Assistant Editor at Daily Times and can be reached at
ishrat.sale...@gmail.com