Things work pretty well now but plot joins the last data point to the
first by a straight line segment.  For example

plot (;*:) steps _1 2 100

shows the graph of y = x^2 for x going from _1 to 2 together with a
straight line segment from the point 2 4 to the point _1 1.  In J602 the
same plot command draws the curve correctly, without that straight line
segment from the last point of the curve to the first point.