Exactly.

But product managers are not applied psychologists. Especially when
they're paying for the subjects, and the experimenter says "sorry --
the smallness of the effect means we need more subjects."

And applied psychologists never work to 5 sigma. 2 is ok. 3 is stellar.

And mathematicians never like to fit their fav math to the
experimental conditions. They expect it to be done the other way
round, like it always has.

Small wonder that the best human-factored consumer products on the
market today were designed by instinct, by a power freak with a
vicious temper and a bad smell.