Bangladesh arrests 200 over bombings
by
Sunday 04 September 2005 9:34 AM GMT

The interior minister said security was being boosted everywhere

Bangladesh security forces have arrested about 200 people in
connection with last month's wave of bombings and have tightened
security amid concerns of more attacks.

"We don't rule out chances of more attacks and so have been taking
further measures to avert it," Home Affairs Minister Lutfuzzaman
Babar said after meeting senior police and intelligence officials on
Sunday.

No one has claimed responsibility for about 500 small-bomb explosions
across the country on 17 August, which killed two people and wounded
about 100.

Leaflets found

But copies of a leaflet found at most bomb sites carried a call by
banned group, Jamaat-ul-Mujahidin, for the introduction of Islamic
rule in Bangladesh, a Muslim democratic country.

Police said many of those arrested confessed to being members of
Jamaat-ul-Mujahidin and of being involved in the bombing attacks.

"They have given information suggesting that not only Islamic
militants but other terror groups were also involved in the
bombings," Babar said.

"We are updating security everywhere, including plans to install
close-circuit cameras at street corners."

Reuters
By

You can find this article at:
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/115F6EE6-F359-4961-A915-