  From: Ian Wilson
  To: Protel EDA Forum
  Sent: Monday, October 27, 2003 7:21 PM
  Subject: Re: [PEDA] Stock components

  On 05:26 PM 27/10/2003, Laurie Biddulph said:
  >I'll try and keep this short and simple.
  >We have a stock of components that we regularly use (ie a selection of
  >resistors, selection of capacitors etc). When generating a schematic we
  >would use RESISTOR and CAPACITOR for the component symbol and edit the
  >component details. The problem here is that unless you define very rigid
  >standards, one user might enter a value of 100nF whilst the nest user
  >(wanting to use the same component) might enter 0.1uF. This makes the BOM
  >messy as we now have two items for the same component.
  >Is there anyway with Protel 99SE (which we are using now) or Protel DXP
  >(which we are migrating to) of being able to select, for example, RESISTOR
  >from the schematic library and then have a list of all the resistors we
  >stock popup for us to choose from?
  >Another reason for doing this is that our boards are made out-of-house and
  >for the BOM we need to include their part# which, again, is difficult to
  >remember and, AFAIK, not able to be held in Protel.

  The normal solution to this problem is to have a different SchLib symbol
  for *every* part you use.  This sounds like a lot of work but in reality is
  not difficult and you do not end up with too many components in you
  libs.  In one of the library (read-only) fields you can enter the unique
  part#.  You can use other fields to specify the component fully in the
  SchLib - making creation of BOMs pretty easy.

  The biggest problem, IMO, with this scheme in P99SE is that there is no way
  of locking the value field, so you can, in a moment of forgetfulness,
  forget to replace a component from the correct one from the library and
  simply edit the value - meaning the value and the part# are no longer
  paired correctly.  Post processing with scripts etc can easily catch this
  problem.

  DXP allows parameters to be locked in the SchLib which really helps this
  method of operation. Last time I tried it was possible to unlock the field
  in the Sch but you have to make an effort to modify a value which will
  probably mean you remember that you should be replacing.  DXP also does a
  reasonable job of replacing parameters from the lib version, though there
  has been discussion on making this even better.

  There was a tool that supposedly (I never tried it) integrated with P99SE
  and allowed the sort of pick from a list you describe.  This was called
  dCSM - you can probably find it on the web.

  I wrote a server that allows you to pull data out of an Excel spreadsheet,
  based on a part field (you nominate which one) and then fills in all other
  component fields.  This is useful when you want an external database to
  hold your component data and the SchLib to hold just the unique
  Part#.  This server is much faster than the P99SE glacial database linking
  and can update pretty much all the component fields incl
  footprint.  (http://www.considered.com.au/Protel01.htm)

  Hopefully there is something of use here,
  Ian