I realize this question is not specifically related to Ptolemy,
but I couldn't think of a better-focused target; please excuse
excessive noise.

I've been reading about various dataflow process models, and I
have a question about appropriate applications.  Most of the
papers and theses discuss these models in the context of DSP,
with some French application to control systems.  Does it seem
reasonable to use them for areas such as network protocols or
communications PHY and link levels?  These areas seem to
require finer-grained operators and a lot of bit-level processing,
as well as being very control-intensive.  Does anyone have
any relevant experience, or can anyone point me to relevant
literature?

Many thanks,

 -- Bill Wood