Thanks for the heads up on this.

The Jini code in Ptolemy has not been updated in some time.
I'll add updating in to 1.2.1 to the todo list, but it would be
easiest if someone would do the work for us and mail me a patch :-)

The workaround is to not compile the jini code in
$PTII/ptolemy/actor/lib/jspaces

The $PTII/configure script looks for a directory called
$PTII/vendors/sun/jini1_0_1 and if it is present then the
PTJSPACES makefile variable is set to 'jspaces'
and $PTII/ptolemy/actor/lib/makefile uses the value of PTJSPACES
to decide whether to go into the jspaces subdirectory.

There is a fairly complete description of the process of how external
packages are handled in in $PTII/doc/coding/develsetup.htm
which can be found at

http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptII2.0/ptII2.0.1/doc/coding/develsetup.htm#ExternalPackages

So, if you run configure and $PTII/vendors/sun/jini1_0_1 is not
present and you do not use the the --with-jini flag then
the actor/lib/jspaces directory should not end up being compiled.

To rerun configure, try
  cd $PTII
  rm config.*; ./configure
  make clean fast >& make.out &

BTW - I think that it is rather lame that Sun does not have the old
release of Jini available.  Microsoft typically does this, and I find
it frustrating, especially when trying to work around bugs in newer
versions of software.  One trick is to try searching the web for
the file to download, which is in this case is jini1_0_1.zip

Nonetheless, we should either update the Jini actors in the next
release, due out in May, or remove those actors.

Thanks for pointing this out.

-Christopher

--------

    In setting up my Ptolemy environment, I went ahead and
    tried getting current releases of tools.  The Jini 1.2.1 release
    appears to have changes that make it incompatible with
    PTII.  A small note on the web page would be appropriate.

    Visiting the Sun site, I don't see earlier versions of Jini.
    This makes it hard to do a full recompile of PTII...

    Suggestions?

    Below are what appear to be the relevant release notes.
    (Which are not accessible on java.sun.com - only if you
    download).

    Jim