You're right... You need a queue to keep the incoming requests and an 'arbiter' to dispatch requests when servers become idle.
I imagine it would be fairly easy to build an arbiter using an FSM model. When a server finishes processing, it sends an event to the arbiter saying it is available. An arbiter may then send it another request from the input queue... It may also be useful to use a "Switch" in combination with an FSM to actually route requests to servers.

Steve

At 03:24 PM 2/23/2003 -0800, Christopher Hylands wrote:
The following appeared in comp.soft-sys.ptolemy
If you respond, cc [EMAIL PROTECTED]

-Christopher
------- Forwarded Message

From: "Herman Reintke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Serving Multiple tokens Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 19:04:51 +0100

LS,

I am new in the Ptolemy system and am experimenting with some simple DE
models to find my way.
First model was fairly easy then an I accomplished to run it.
 - Poisson arrival, servicing the arrived tokens with a server, output
average service times.

But now I want to extend the model so it can use two (or more) servers to
see the effect average service times. Now I cannot use multiple server
actor, they could have tokens inside where the other server(s) are idle.
But when using a queue, how to decide to which server it should go (how to
know which server is idle). And a queue must be triggered to let the next
token arrive.

I do not see a solution, does anyone has some experience on hoe to handle
these kind of simulations, hopefully without getting very complex.

Kind regards,

Herman Reintke

------- End of Forwarded Message