Sorry about the adminstrivia, but please use

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

instead of

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

It looks like some people are having a hard time receiving
ptolemy-hackers email that is sent to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] because the number of
hops or headers in the message.

Recently I've been seeing bounce messages like:

  Unable to deliver message to the following recipients, because the
  message was forwarded more than the maximum allowed times. This
  could indicate a mail loop.

The problem is that mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
gets forwarded to doppler.eecs.berkeley.edun and then on to
eecs.berkeley.edu where it gets virus filtered and then it gets
bounced back to doppler where Majordomo handles it and sends it out.

I guess some mail handlers (MTAs?) think that having lots of hops
is a problem.  I think that if there are more than about 17 hops
some of the handlers have problems.  This seems to be a recent
problem, we have had the same setup for several months, so perhaps
there is a change in the mail handlers at these sites.

Locally, we are running sendmail, which has a maximum hop count of 25
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf says:

# maximum hop count
#O MaxHopCount=25

so we are not seeing these problems locally.

If I see more of these, I'll try forwarding the message to the
affected individuals to see if we can come up with a more robust
solution.

Mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] will still work, but
the preferred address is
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-Christopher

Christopher Hylands    [EMAIL PROTECTED]  University of California
Programmer/Analyst Chess/Ptolemy/GSRC         US Mail: 558 Cory Hall #1770
ph: (510)643-9841 fax:(510)642-2739           Berkeley, CA 94720-1770
home: (510)526-4010, (707)665-0131            (office: 400A Cory)