Hello,

We have a question about the extensibility of the Ptolemy II type system. In our project, we need to extend the type system by adding new
data types and modifying the type hierarchy. As an example, we need to
incorporate a new double type (as a superclass of double) that accepts
null, or missing, values.

We would like to add new data types without altering the Ptolemy codebase. It seems the way to do this is by overriding the TypeLattice class (to add new edges for our new extended types). We had the impression (e.g., as discussed in Chapter 12 of the manual) that this extensibility was possible. However, it appears that the TypeLattice is hard coded, e.g., it is not a parameter to the BaseType class, and instead, a default instance of TypeLattice is hard coded into BaseType.

So, the questions are: Are our ideas using the Ptolemy type system code
in the way in which it was intended? Are there other ways to extend types without altering the Ptolemy code? Do you have any suggestions as to our approach?

thanks,
chad

-- ----------------------- Chad Berkley National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS) [EMAIL PROTECTED] -----------------------