Hi Nandita,
Perhaps the JAI .dlls are not being found?
Under Windows, in c:/j2sdk1.4.2_08/jre/bin, I have
 mlib_jai.dll
 checkmmx.exe
 mlib_jai_mmx.dll

What OS are you running under?
What version of Java are you running?

You could try some JAI test code and see if that works.

http://archives.java.sun.com/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0403&L=jai-interest&F=&S=&P=1661
says:
> This should be able to be managed using the exception handling
> capability added in JAI 1.1.2. For more information see the interface
> ImagingListener and the class ImagingException in the
> javax.media.jai.util package, as well as
> javax.media.jai.JAI.KEY_IMAGING_LISTENER.

Since this is more of a Java question than a Ptolemy question,
we can take it offline, so email me your response.

_Christopher

--------

    Hi Chirstopher,
      Thanks for looking into possible reasons for the exceptions. I don't  get
    any exceptions when the vergil shows up the JAI actors now , as you  sugges
   ted JAI implementation jars namely jai_core.jar &  jai_codec.jar needed to b
   e placed it in the right JDK.
      Currently I have the class files for all JAI actors in  ptolemy/actor/lib
   /jai & the implementation jars in the JDK  folder.However, now when I run th
   e the actors/ other demos , I get the  following exception:

    Error: IOException occurs when search for propriate codecs.
      Occurs in: com.sun.media.jai.codec.ImageCodec
      java.io.IOException: The handle is invalid
              at java.io.RandomAccessFile.seek(Native Method)
              at com.sun.media.jai.codec.FileCacheSeekableStream.readUntil(File
   CacheSe
      ekableStream.java:129)
              at com.sun.media.jai.codec.FileCacheSeekableStream.read(FileCache
   Seekabl
      eStream.java:266)
              at com.sun.media.jai.codec.SeekableStream.readFully(SeekableStrea
   m.java:
      327)
              at com.sun.media.jai.codec.SeekableStream.readFully(SeekableStrea
   m.java:
      306)
              at com.sun.media.jai.codec.ImageCodec.getDecoderNames(ImageCodec.
   java:27
      4)
              at com.sun.media.jai.opimage.StreamRIF.create(StreamRIF.java:80)
              at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccess
   orImpl.
      java:39)
              at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMeth
   odAcces
      sorImpl.java:25)
              at javax.media.jai.FactoryCache.invoke(FactoryCache.java:130)
              at javax.media.jai.OperationRegistry.invokeFactory(OperationRegis
   try.jav
      a:1682)
              at javax.media.jai.ThreadSafeOperationRegistry.invokeFactory(Thre
   adSafeO
      perationRegistry.java:481)
              at javax.media.jai.registry.RIFRegistry.create(RIFRegistry.java:3
   40)
              at javax.media.jai.RenderedOp.createInstance(RenderedOp.java:830)
              at javax.media.jai.RenderedOp.createRendering(RenderedOp.java:878
   )
              at javax.media.jai.RenderedOp.getRendering(RenderedOp.java:899)
              at javax.media.jai.RenderedOp.createInstance(RenderedOp.java:810)
              at javax.media.jai.RenderedOp.createRendering(RenderedOp.java:878
   )
              at javax.media.jai.RenderedOp.getRendering(RenderedOp.java:899)
              at ptolemy.actor.lib.jai.JAIImageToken.asAWTImage(JAIImageToken.j
   ava:95)

              at ptolemy.actor.lib.image.ImageTableau.display(ImageTableau.java
   :197)
              at ptolemy.actor.lib.image.ImageTableau.append(ImageTableau.java:
   139)
              at ptolemy.actor.gui.TokenEffigy.setTokens(TokenEffigy.java:218)
              at ptolemy.actor.lib.image.ImageDisplay._display(ImageDisplay.jav
   a:243)
              at ptolemy.actor.lib.image.ImageDisplay$2.run(ImageDisplay.java:2
   09)
              at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:2
   09)
              at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDis
   patchTh
      read.java:242)
              at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispa
   tchThre
      ad.java:163)
              at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.ja
   va:157)

              at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.ja
   va:149)

              at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)
      Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.RuntimeException: - Unab
   le to render RenderedOp for this operation.
              at javax.media.jai.RenderedOp.createInstance(RenderedOp.java:838)
[...]

      I tried jpg,png,gif image files with the JAIImageReader, but similar exce
   ption
      Any ideas...

      Thanks for your help!
      nandita.

      Christopher Brooks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
        Hi there,
            I have a very basic question on importing the jar files for the JAI
    act
       ors.
            Currently I am able to make the class files in pttII/ptolemy/actor/
   lib/
       jai folder.
            And when I run vergil (it shows up JAI actors with  exceptions)....
   basi
       cally I am unable to make ptolemy load the jai jar  files during vergil.
          I placed the jar files in actor/lib.
          I refered to "Add an Actor" page & my actors do show up , but am faci
   ng t
       he jar issue, probably not doing something right...
           thanks,
          nandita.
    ------

    Hi Nandita,

    I'm assuming your problem is with Ptolemy and vergil here, not with
    Kepler.

    $PTII/bin/vergil is a shell script that sets the classpath and invokes
    ptolemy.vergil.VergilApplication

    If you run "$PTII/bin/vergil -verbose" you will see the classpath
    that is used.

    The vergil script includes $PTII in the classpath, so the .class files
    in ptolemy/actor/lib/jai should be automatically included in the
    classpath and be visible to vergil.  You need not construct a jar
    file containing the actors.

    Note that you would need to modify the configuration so that
    any new actors are visible.  To do this, edit
    ptII/ptolemy/actor/lib/jai/jai.xml

    The way the configuration works is a tad complex, but briefly
    when you run the ptolemy.vergil.VergilApplication class, it uses
    the "full" configuration, which is found in
    ptolemy/configs/full/configuratoin.xml

    That file refers to ptolemy/configs/defaultFullConfiguration.xml,
    which includes image.xml:
                 [input]
    image.xml includes jai.xml:
      [input]

    You say you are getting exceptions, what exceptions are you seeing?

    There is a separate issue with the JAI jar files from Sun.  These
    jar files include the JAI implementation and under Windows for me
    are found in
    c:/j2sdk1.4.2_08/jre/lib/ext
    For me, the JAI implementation jar files found in that directory are
      mlibwrapper_jai.jar
      jai_core.jar
      jai_codec.jar

    I just want to be sure we are talking about the JAI actor jar files,
    not the JAI implementation jar files from Sun.
    If the JAI implementation jar files are not in the right place,
    then the JAI actors will not work.  I've seen various problems here,
    most center around multiple JDKs and JREs are installed, and the JAI
    jar files are in one JDK or JRE, but not the right one.

    _Christopher