Hi,

On Mon, May 08, 2017 at 10:02:10AM +0200, Michael Olbrich wrote:
> mkfs.ext4 in the current version can add content to the filesystem. So that
> is the way to go. I started a patch for genimage to use it, but so far I'm
> lacking the time to finish this.
> The main problem is, that mkfs.ext4 checks /etc/mke2fs.conf by default and
> looks up some stuff in /proc when deciding what to do. So it's a bit tricky
> to make sure that the build host does not influence the creation of the
> image.

Ok, so considering these problems of host influences when using
mkfs.ext4, even though -d is now a supported option, shouldn't we then
give make_ext4fs a try?

If mkfs.ext4 reads from /proc, we would have to patch this out or work
with upstream e2fsprogs adding a flag to skip these host system lookups?

If you still prefer mkfs.ext4, please send the current state of your
patch.

While we're at it, I thought we could also add support for f2fs image
creation. The problem there however is, that neither the mkfs.f2fs tool
nor any other 3rd party tool I know of can create a f2fs filesystem with
a pre-defined root directory. But maybe I missed something.
And loop-mounting to copy stuff to it, is probably not an option.

--

By the way:
In my platformconfig, I currently use IMAGE_ROOT_EXT from section image2

Thanks,
Clemens