Hi Richard,

So, can an rdfs:Class also be used as a skos:Concept, or vice versa?

Yes.

OWL DL folks will obviously not like this, but that's not my problem.

A problem might be this: If there is a skos:Concept, and we use it as a class, what exactly are the instances of that class? Having this:

   foo:Cougar a skos:Concept; skos:prefLabel "Cougar".

And then doing this:

   bar:Bob a foo:Cougar .

Then Bob could be an animal, or Bob could be some sort of document, because the foo:Cougar concept may have been a "container" for documents rather than animals. So the "bar:Bob a foo:Cougar" triple really just tells us that bar:Bob is somehow related to or about cougars, but not that Bob is an animal of the species Cougar. This problem could be solved by saying that "foo:Cougar rdfs:subClassOf ex:Animal". So the problem can be worked around. But it still shows that using concepts as classes is tricky business.

I never pretended that was easy, just that there were fewer problems ;-)

However, I would in general expect that the link between a document and its
subject should be represented by a dedicated property that is not rdf:type [1].
If people generally adopted this pattern, there would be less chance of
someone's using the cougar concept as the class of documents about cougars,
which I expect is the most likely confusion.

But of course you can never remove all danger. When you start using a concept
as a class, I guess it would be good practice to add some documentation (e.g.
an rdfs:comment on the class) to clarify your intention.

As you say in the following, one can expect less issues for the other
direction. All (RDFS/OWL) ontologies can be regarded as knowledge organization
systems, but KOSs are generally not trivially mapped into ontologies.

The other way round -- using classes as concepts -- seems safer. I find it hard to find a practical problem with this. Both for classes and for concepts there are custom properties for indicating equivalence -- owl:equivalentClass and the different skos:match properties -- so one can steer clear of owl:sameAs and avoid most of the usual coreference problems.

Yes!

Antoine

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-primer/#secindexing